Week Five
This week I went to the shelter with Crystal on Friday night. When we got there they asked us to clean out the puppy kennels. This is always a fun job. It is difficult getting the puppies in and out of the kennels. When we got to one kennel we realized that there was a red liquid all over the bottom of the cage that smelled terrible. The puppy looked awful. It was just sitting with its head down. Normally, the puppies go crazy and get really excited when you open their door but this one acted sick. We went and got an employee. They immediately told us to stay away from it and went and got a carrier to put it in. Of course, this means they were going to put the dog to sleep. It made me sad but I know that it had to be done to keep the other animals healthy. They sprayed the kennel with bleach and told us to not touch it. After we finished cleaning the kennels we got to take the puppies outside to play in a fenced in area. This was a lot of fun. The puppies seemed to really enjoy. The smaller puppies didn’t know what to do so they would follow me and Crystal around and wine. They were pretty pathetic in a cute way.
I cannot believe how much I enjoy going to the shelter each week. I have volunteered at shelters before but they had so many volunteers there wasn’t much work to be done. This shelter is different. There is always something to do. Even some of the jobs are dirty or sad it is still fun to go. I just kind of ignore the bad parts and focus on the good. Helping getting a dog adopted is the best feeling. It makes me feel like I have accomplished something and that I am important volunteer.dark/thumb.jpg

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home